EL GALLO AZUL TIMELINE
The Calle Larga has changed a lot. Next to the city’s Jewish quarter. The building of a terraced building began as early as the 16th century.
Since then and up to the present day, it has been known as Calle Larga, despite the fact that for some years in the last century it bore the name of Duque Almodóvar del Río.
The Domecq family donated this building to the people of Jerez. With the occasion of the Ibero-American Exhibition of 1929, the Domecqs commissioned the Sevillian architect Anibal González to create a building for the city, which would preside over and beautify the intersection between Calle Larga and Calle Santa María.
The emblematic building, the pride of the city, stands in the heart of the commercial and financial centre of Jerez. It soon became
a meeting point for locals and visitors from all over the world.
The artist José Luis Torres Fernández, from Jerez, was the designer and painter of the cockerel that presides over the interior of the building. This work gave its name to this emblematic building and it has become the icon of the building to this day. This local artist left his art all over the winery in the Jerez with incomparable engravings on mirrors and wine labels of the time.
It is still possible to observe in many details of the place, the relationship with the Casa Domecq. This is the case of the clock in front of the building. Jerez calls a competition to install a signpost in the space in front of the Gallo Azul.
Domecq presented a project in which, in addition to the main element, “The address indicator”, he added a two-sided clock with a beautiful iron architecture and scrolls with bunches of grapes.
From our balcony you can see another historic building.
The González Byass company commissioned the Jerez-born
Francisco Hernández-Rubio, the remodelling of the building
located in front of the Gallo Azul for shops and housing.
The people of Jerez baptised this building as “la Gallina Blanca” (the White Hen) because of its location opposite to the Gallo.
A family of painters lived in the El Gallo Azul building in the 1950s. This place breathes art and culture centuries old.
And it makes sense when we look back to recreate all the lives that have been lived within our walls.
Malaga businessman Gonzalo Assiego, owner in Bali of La Favela, one of the best beach bars in the world takes the reins of the iconic El Gallo Azul. He spends years refurbishing the building, restoring the original 1929 materials. He decorates the interior with Parisian inspiration,
and installs a lift to take you up all six floors of the building.
The Assiego Family is the current owner of the emblematic
El Gallo Azul building. After centuries of history, it came into the hands of Gonzalo Assiego, a man from Malaga in love with Jerez, who seeks to give back all the lives this place has had in his new project.
Our thanks to Diario de Jerez, to Benjamín and especially to
Marisa in particular. To Enrique from Jerez TV, to the passers-by and Eterno Jerez for helping us to illustrate the chronology of
El Gallo Azul.
“This is the chronology of a building that has become an architectural emblem of Jerez. And also the dream of a man in love with the city. A family that projected their love for Jerez de la Frontera”.
From Jerez to the world.
It is also the chronology of the maturing process of a style of cuisine and a concept of hospitality, born from family roots to evolve through a solid commitment to creative freedom and innovation, which also honours the memory of tradition, small producers and their land.